A friend of mine is a huge fan of Ashwin Sanghi & his novels & it is on her recommendation that I gave his novel a try. I finished the novel in 2 days as it was fast paced & the chapters were really short with very simple language. But I am not saying that as a good thing.
In Mumbai, seemingly unconnected people are dying, strangled in a chilling ritual and with strange objects carefully arranged with the corpses.
For Santosh Wagh, head of Private India, the Mumbai branch of the world’s finest investigation agency, it’s a race against time to stop the killer striking again.
The book left me confused. I felt some references used were unnecessary & illogical (like the mention of the Mumbai blasts at the start of the novel in such a manner that the reader believes the novel is about the blasts).
What I liked:
- The short chapters make for a quick read
- I liked the various medical & forensic procedures & latest IT developments in crime solving described in the book.
- The case was really interesting till the end was revealed which was a big let down.
What I disliked:
- The characters were not at all developed. While I liked the short chapters, I did miss not reading in details about the lives & histories for Munna, Nimboo Baba, Rupesh, Santosh, Nisha, Hari, Mubeen in greater details. Everything about them was very brief & too the point.
- The suspense was going on really well right till the end, but the end totally spoiled it for me. It made no sense at all to me. All the while I had been dead sure it would be the Attorney General’s wife especially because of the extensive use of the Durga symbology & all the murders being connected to her husband.
- Durga is a Goddess who fought the demons & killed them. She is a symbol of strength of women & the victory of good over evil. Akash using Durga symbols all over made no sense to me since he claimed to hate women(so much that he even had his gender changed in order to become a man). If he hates women why use the most powerful woman in Hindu mythology to express his anger & hatred towards his victims? Also, Durga is a Goddess who kills the monsters in all the stories. She never became the monster unlike Aditi/ Akash. Or maybe he never saw himself as a monster?
- A terrorist plot to blow off a major office in South Bombay usually is the stuff of main stories of novels. You don’t use it like a sort of epilogue.
I will give it 2/5.