Loosely based on the novel The prince and the Pauper. Ever loving Prem is respected and loved by all and Vijay (also played by Salman Khan) is in the world of hatred and violence! They change their identities temporarily to discover the other side of the world!
Cast: Salman Khan, Sonam Kapoor, Anupam Kher, Deepak Dobriyal, Armaan Kohli, Neil Nitin Mukesh, Swara Bhaskar
Director: Sooraj Barjatya
All Sooraj Barjatya movies are always full of family values, Indian family values to be more specific & after Hum Sath Sath Hai & Vivaah I had vowed to never watch another Rajshri movie. But then who can say NO to Mom when she is determined to watch it? So I ended up in a multiplex with her this Saturday evening watching Prem Ratan Dhan Paayo (PRDP)
What I liked:
- Unlike all his previous movies this wasn’t a typical Indian wedding video. There was a story & the story was good.
- Salman Khan is good as Prem Dilwale. Even his worst hater will admit that the man can act. And he has done a great job in the movie.
- Anupam Kher & Deepak Dobriyal & the actor who is the head of security are great in their respective roles
- A few songs are good but none can match the beauty of Hum Aapke Hai Koun & Maine Pyaar Kiya songs. Those were in a class of their own. They dont make such melodies any more. 😦
What I did not like:
- Too much bling. All Rajshri movies have rich Marwadi families but never have they been so flashy. They all had a class to them which the royalty in this movie lacks. They have a Sheesh Mahal in the movie! Any normal palace would have sufficed, but I guess a glass palace breaking into a thousand pieces in so much bright light looks great… or at least that is what Sooraj Barjatya thinks.
- Sonam Kapoor cannot act. She is lucky to always be cast opposite great actors like Fawad Khan, Salman Khan, Abhay Deol. But then with them her non acting becomes glaringly obvious. The lady is very photogenic & stylish, no doubt, but she cannot act. Her diction is terrible, she cannot dance, she has 2-3 standard expressions which she keeps repeating. They should stick her on magazine covers & spare us.
- I had read Neil Nitin Mukesh was offered a role in Game of Thrones after the stunt director saw his work in this movie. So I had gone in expecting a great action sequence. That guy has literally nothing to do in the movie. NOTHING! -_-
- The ending is unnecessarily dragged out & is stupid too. Who forgives a brother who a few days back tried killing you? And since when do Princesses marry a Ram Leela wala. Family is important but only if it isnt trying to murder you or loot you -_-
Deepak Dobriyal & Anupam Kher with Salman provide some light, funny moments. They actually make the movie tolerable. Armaan Kohli in some shots looks like Harvey Specter :O
A 2/5 for this movie.