In 1959, a decorated naval officer is accused of murdering his wife’s lover. (-IMDb)
Cast: Akshay Kumar, Ileana D’Cruz, Esha Gupta, Arjan Bajwa, Pawan Malhotra
Director: Tinu Suresh Desai
One of the rare times I go to a movie so soon after its release I went to see this movie with my Mom. Her recommendation. She loves men in uniform. Who doesn’t? 😉 And Akshay does look handsome as a Navy Officer.
What I liked:
- The actors: Akshay Kumar & Ileana D’Cruz are perfect as Commander Rustom Parvi & the breaktakingly beautiful Cynthia. Pawan Malhotra is brilliant as Vincent Lobo, a police officer. Parmeet Sethi, Arjan Bajwa are convincing in their roles.
- Akshay’s screen presence: He hasn’t got much lines in this movie but he makes great impact with what little lines he has been given, especially in the court scenes when he is cross examining the witnesses. Akshay single handedly manages to carry the movie on his shoulders.
What I did not like:
- The story: Initially I had felt that the patriotic angle was unnecessary but after watching the movie it proved to be the saving grace of the movie. They could have easily kept the original story of Nanavati as is & made a romance + drama movie filled with deep intense emotions & angst. But as the aircraft carrier angle had to be addressed you end up feeling disconnected with Rustom & his emotions on being betrayed by his wife. People who would have gone expecting some nice romantic scenes before the action begins would be left sorely disappointed.
- Courtroom drama: Who inserts comedy into courtroom dramas?! The sass of the judge, comic music playing out in between, the public prosecutor making a fool of himself, repeatedly sending the newspaper guy to jail, etc take away from the thrill of the court case.
- Cynthia: The beginning of her affair with Vikram was as lacking in impact & story as was her falling for Akshay. The audience never gets to “feel” her emotions. They could have explained the whole thing with subtitles. It was that dull. A complete waste of time.
- The two ladies: Ileana D’Cruz & Esha Gupta do not have much to do in the movie. Ileana is left to look pretty & cry even more prettily. Esha smokes one cigarette after another constantly making a stinky face.
The movie is definitely a one time watch for Akshay & Pawan alone. They have some great scenes in jail.
The movie as a whole could have been much much better though.
3/5 from me.